What have I done waiting for Date of Joining

Considering the time I had (and still have) before getting my Date of Joining from CTS there are a lot of things I did, and most of them I learned and still learning. Here are a list of a few things I do to keep my mind off of everyone who probably thinks that I am bluffing about my job offer since its been around 6 months and I am still at home.


Pic Courtesy : playbuzz.com


1. Search for a Temporary Job

      A temporary job that would last for an unknown time before getting a call letter is quite surprisingly difficult. There are a lot of reasons I didn't get it.
  1. There is a notice period before which I have to inform the company that I am leaving them, not our type. From some horror stories I have heard from my friends we might get a call letter asking us to join the company in 4 days.
  2. There is a contract period of around 2 years. I wouldn't want to get stuck with that.
  3. My mouth runs faster than my brain that it says all those things I am not supposed say/ask to a HR manager like "I thought joining a BPO is better than sitting at home". Yup, I was out of the office in the next minute.
  4. Sometimes its me, not wanting to waste the only time I don't have to work before I retire. So, I will just start thinking about the time I wouldn't have after I join the company and the interest to do well in the interview drops below 0.

2.  I don't miss any Function or Festivals

     Its inevitable for my parents to take me to all the functions in our family when I am sitting at home for months together. I thought that the shyness I usually feel when my relatives are around will go because of the number of times I visit them but that has not happened yet. Might take a few more times to get used to the question "Hey, what do you do now?" and the legendary answer that follows "Waiting for my call letter". I had always planned that I will enjoy a lot until I get my call letter and that I wished that I should be the very last batch to be called. The one wrong wish that came to be true.

3.  Netflix and TV shows

     I never thought any TV show would ever interest me since I have only watched a few Indian ones that almost always have the family drama as their main plot that didn't interest me. When I started watching Dexter, I have literally stopped watching any movies at all. And since we have an unlimited internet connection at home and an awful lot of time I have watched 9 TV shows and am watching the full series of friends, a second time. Hey! I watched tutorials for an online course too.

4.  Catering Service

      Then I remembered how I got EARNED some pocket money during college. With a lot of functions going on in the city all catering companies rely on college students for serving food to the guests. Do you remember the waist coat guy, in the buffet counter who gives the roti along with a smile, on a function you attended? That was what I did to have some pocket money. So I started going for catering as there is still good demand for people who serve although it might get a little weird when they some guests ask me "which college?" and I say "I have complete Engineering last April" and they are like, "Don't worry son you will get a good job soon". I am ok with that because I know that I definitely am going to get the call letter. I only wish the catering people would increase the pay/service.

5.  Blogging 

      This one, I would say is the single most (if not responsible) useful thing that  I have done in my time waiting for the call letter.
I have a published a few articles on my blog that I can claim my own. The sad thing is that I was so engulfed by Netflix that I got this idea only in November. I never thought of how much time would take to write a page long article but now I know that it takes atleast an hour or two. I even enjoy writing them, its 4 a.m and all I did at night was watch friends and then suddenly think that I should probably write something and end publishing my article at 7 or 8 a.m before I go to sleep.

6. The Mother of all - Check my email 

     I have never checked my email these many times a day, and I am quite sure even if I had had a girlfriend who would send an email I would have looked through my emails lot less occasional like once or twice a week. It is like a disease of some sort, earlier I was the only one checking my email, now my mother is checking for the call letter too. Given some time even my grandma will start looking for it in the email.

I know this is a very difficult time for a lot of us but this need not be the way it is. There are quite a few advantages to u than our who have already joined

  • We don't have to care if its weekday or weekend, we are always free. So, plan whatever you want.
  • We don't have to worry about paying the bills when we hang out with our friends who have joined some company. Hey, let the ones that have jobs pay!!!
  • We can always catch the first day first show for movies of our favorite heroes.
I am enjoying this time as much as I can along with a few classes and online tutorials. Whenever I check my email and the call letter is not there, I just Watch a few episodes of FRIENDS. Tell me in comments how you have felt about this loooooooong leave. 

Comments